- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp strawberry preserves (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
Preheat oven to 425. Spray pan(s). Can use 4” heart pans or donut pans. Makes 12 cakes or donuts.
• 1. Add lemon juice to milk (buttermilk substitute). Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
3. Add milk, eggs and butter. Stir just until well mixed.
4. Fold in 1/2 cup strawberries.
5. Fill each pan about 2/3 full.
6. Bake about 8 minutes, until tops rebound when pressed.
7. Leave in pan for about 5 minutes.
8. Remove from pan and set on cooling rack covered in wax paper.
9. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients and stir until smooth.
10. Using a tablespoon, drizzle glaze on top of each cake. Wait for glaze to set.
11. In another bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tablespoon milk and strawberry preserves and mix well. (Can omit strawberry preserves by using a bit of strawberry juice in glaze mix.)
12. Gently spoon red strawberry glaze over the white glaze.